Friday, August 6, 2010

Can I Help Grandpa?

These words came from my three….ok, almost four…year old grandson as I was pouring paint into the tray to finish painting the kitchen.

“Sure” I said, “it will be fun”

“Are you sure Dad?” My grandson’s mom asked…

“No problem, you go sit down, it will be fine”

I finished setting everything up, poured some paint into a little tub, handed him a brush and put him in front of a nice large wall...

“Uh-oh” I heard him say a few minutes after we started(by the way, in case you’re not sure, this is not a phrase you want to hear when your 3 year old grandson has a paintbrush in his hand) as I looked over I realized he had accidently put his hand up against the newly painted wall.

“It’s ok bud” I said as I wiped off his hand and got back to painting...

“Uh-oh” (again, in case you weren’t paying attention, this is not a good phrase to hear) as I looked over and saw that he had dripped on the floor...

“No problem kid, I’ll clean it up” I said as I wiped the paint off the floor...

As I once again tried to finish rolling the wall I was working on I heard those now common words...“Uh-oh” (by the way...yeah, you know...bad words, 3 year old, paintbrush...blah, blah, blah...)

I turned once again to see that this time he had stepped in the paint tray and his entire foot was now the exact same color as the wall I had still not finished painting...

Ok, so it may have crossed my mind that this might not be working after all as I cleaned out the sink, turned on the warm water, carried him over to the counter and washed his foot off in the sink.

“Was I a good helper grandpa” he asked as I sat him down in the family room with his mom.

“Of course Caleb, I couldn’t have done it without you” I said with a smile, “it was fun having you help me”...and believe it or not, I actually meant it.

No comments: