Monday, March 3, 2008

5 days and counting....

The Solvang Century is this coming Saturday and so far my longest ride since last fall is about 46 miles with about 3000 ft of climbing. So I'm obviously totally ready to go out and do 104 miles with 5000 ft of climbing......right? I mean afterall, I've almost done half the distance on any previous ride this year...

I'm pretty sure this will be the first time I've done a century and been this far away from my training goals prior to it.
Even back when I did my first century in Chico a few years ago. True, I had never actually ridden 100 miles before, but I had done 80+ a couple of times prior to the century that year and actually didn't want to do 100 until the century.

I'm not really the kind of guy that will just say "ok lets do this" and go out and do it. I hate failing and am kind of a wuss when it comes to suffering so I'm usually pretty anal about making sure I train for things. Up unitl this one anyway.

It's not that I haven't been riding either. Granted it's been a pretty cold and wet winter here and this is still pretty early in the season, but I actually rode quite a bit through this winter. Only it's mainly been on my ss mt bike. I kept thinking I needed to be on the road getting a good "base" and putting some miles in, but that ss thing is just so dang fun!

Oh well, it's really too late to do anything about it now but stock up on butt butter and advil and get ready mentally for a long day in the saddle. Kind of like one of my buddies that's been off the bike for the last few months and then yesterday went out with us and did 40 miles with 2000ft of climbing. Was it fun? kinda. Did it hurt? sorta. Did he survive? pretty much. Was it better to be outside on a beautiful day than in the house or doing chores - absolutely!

No comments: