Friday, June 13, 2008

No, I don't race.....

So, there’s a time trial coming up at the end of the month.( I refuse to call it a race because I don’t race) It’s being held by Cyclepath and is going to be from the golf course to the second bench up Brandon Trail.
Now, I have to admit, I hate this climb. I’ve been doing this loop fairly regularly over the last year and this climb ALWAYS sucks….it seems that no matter how many times I do it or how good of shape I think I’m in, this hill kicks my a$$ every time.

So, last night, just for grins, I wore my watch and timed myself going up the hill. It took me 14 minutes and I felt like that was a pretty respectable time. (Although, at the top I was pretty sure I was going to be seeing the salami sandwich I had for lunch again.)
So, as the others came up, we were all congratulating ourselves on what peak physical specimens we were and how impressed we were with ourselves when another guy rode up and as he got to the top he immediately looked at his watch.

We assumed correctly that he was training for the ride and asked him what his time was.
(thus began the feelings of hatred toward a total stranger) He said, “well, I haven’t been riding much so I’m pretty far off my best, but I did it in 10:40…….”
He then went on to tell us that he was 58 and used to be much faster and was sure if he trained more he could get it down near 10 even…..(hmm…wonder if the rangers would find his body if we threw him off the cliff)
The more we talked, or more correctly, the more he talked, the stronger the feelings became that maybe there is such a thing as justifiable homicide.
He went on to explain that the race…oops, the time trial, will be a lot of fun and we should come out anyway. Afterall, there are some people that will take as long as 17-19 minutes to finish the climb….. 17-19 minutes?????? I about lost my lunch to get to 14 and he’s making it sound like I should have been doing it in a wheel chair at that pace….

Well, before we acted on our feelings of anger and did throw this guy over the cliff with his bike shoved way up his……anyway, we decided to pedal off and spent the rest of the evening rationalizing our performance…..afterall, I was wearing a camelback with a gallon of water, and my bike had a frame pump and seatbag attached, so that probably accounted for a couple of minutes….and I did have that salami sandwich for lunch so that slowed me down.….and besides, my tires still had winter air in them and we all know summer air is much lighter and pedals easier……


CHECK IT OUT - DONATE TO A GOOD CAUSE AND POSSIBLY WIN A BIKE HERE

No comments: