Monday, January 19, 2009

Not sure I make the best decisions……

197.2lbs
Well, last Wednesday was the Death Ride registration day. They did it different this year than last and instead of a lottery type drawing, they opened up a certain number of slots on a certain day and you had to log on and register.
Well the first day they opened registration back in December, my boss decided to call a meeting so there was no way I could have done it.

Last Wednesday at 10:00 am they opened up the remaining 1800 slots and I was determined to get my name in there.
I logged on at 9:58 and of course it wasn’t open yet…that’s ok I just kept clicking refresh until 10:00 when of course the site posted an error message saying “we’re sorry we’re experiencing a high volume of traffic please try your request later” are you kidding me?!?!?


This event sells out every year, they specifically broke it into two registration days because of the number of people trying to register and they didn’t expect high traffic levels???

So, with my blood pressure right about 400/250 I kept closing the browser and trying again…only to get the same message. My co-worker, worried I was going to blow a blood vessel, also logged on to try to help me from her computer….click, error message, refresh, click, error message, refresh….this went on for 10-15 minutes before Yeana excitedly said "I got in"…..and sure enough, I was able to log in, register and get my confirmation….I was IN!!!!

Of course, now it comes down to one of those be careful what you wish for moments…..I mean, it’s not like I really want to do this ride….as a matter of fact I really do not want to do this ride. Instead, it's a case of I have to do this ride. 2 years ago, I attempted this ride with a group of friends and although they all made it, I only made it 80+ miles before I cramped up to the point that I couldn’t finish.

So, you see…I really don’t have a choice. I tried it and failed so now I have to complete it in order to be able to move on.
I still have the 07 jersey in my bottom drawer. It’s still in it’s wrapper, taunting me, rubbing my nose in the fact that I couldn’t finish….I swear when I reach in there for my shorts or another jersey, I can hear the Death Ride jersey snickering…go ahead, put me on... No one will know you’re wearing a jersey for a ride you couldn’t finish. Go ahead, wear me. And when someone asks you about the Death Ride you can tell them how you didn’t finish. You can rationalize it as bad fueling, or maybe it was the heat, or you were having an off day….

So, now that I’m in I guess the work really begins…..How did I get into this mess???

No comments: