Monday, December 8, 2008

A 50/50 chance….

So, the weekend before last I crashed on the mountain bike. The next day with my elbow swollen to the size of a grapefruit, I went to the doctor. After looking at it….seriously, he just looked at it. Never touched it, bent it, asked me to move it or anything, he sent me for an x-ray. After the x-ray, I was put back in the room and waited for the prognosis. The doctor came in with the picture in his hand, proclaimed the arm “definitely broken” and had me put into a partial cast and set an appt for today with the orthopedic surgeon.

Well, the Monday after the initial visit, I emailed my regular doctor to let him know what happened and to see if he could find out anything else.
Wednesday rolls around and I get an email response from my doctor that says, “Rich, sorry to hear about the elbow. Good news though the x-ray doesn’t show any broken bones”

Now, I’m obviously not a doctor and I didn’t get to look at the x-ray (not that I would know what to look for even if he had shown me) but how is it that two doctors can look at the same picture and see two different things? Either there’s a break or there’s not right?
I mean wouldn’t the phrase “obviously broken” indicate something that is totally visible on the x-ray?

The good news is that today I go see the orthopedic surgeon so she’ll definitely confirm there’s a possibility that maybe there’s a chance that either one or the other opinion could absolutely be possibly correct…..

No comments: