Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Long weekends are the best!

I love 3 day weekends! Usually my weekends are an exercise in compromise. I try to juggle time with the family, getting the chores and yardwork done and getting some time in the saddle. What usually happens is my rides are shorter than they need to be, my yardwork and chores get a quick once over with the promise that I'll do a thorough job the next time and my family time ends up being shorter than I'd like and never quite as relaxing as I want since I'm always thinking of everything that isn't getting done. Bigger projects...well, they never even get started since I know I won't have time to finish them.

3 day weekends are much better. This weekend, I got a nice 40 mile ride (3000 ft of climbing) ride in on Saturday morning, then got some chores done later in the day. Sunday was church, then we went to a party for a friend and yesterday I was able to actually start and finish installing a flagstone patio and pathway in the backyard.

I rode from Castro Valley out to the Orinda BART station to meet up with some friends. I was feeling really good going up Redwood. Pretty sure I was on pace to break some local records or at least place well in the Tour de France....at least until I heard "on your left" and 3 guys practically flew by me. Ok, so maybe not quite as fast up that hill as I thought I was.

From the Orinda BART station we rode out past San Pablo Dam and then around to Briones where we did the 3 Bears and then headed back to the BART station. It was a perfect Spring-like day with sunny but cool weather. We saw tons of other riders out there.

We also saw a lady try to drive away from a gas pump without removing the nozzle from her tank. The quick release did it's job and the only damage was to her pride.

Looks like it's supposed to rain the rest of the week, so I'm not sure how many miles I'll get in this week. Solvang is 3 weeks and counting so I'm hoping this weather pattern doesn't last too long.

No comments: