Friday, July 25, 2008

Biking to work....

For the past couple of months I’ve been talking about riding my bike to work. It’s usually prefaced with “I would ride to work but….” And they’re all pretty legitimate excuses, but they’re just that….excuses.


You’d think that with all of the benefits we know riding bestows, we’d all be riding to work more often.

  • It’s good for our health - Physical activity reduces the risk of premature mortality in general, and of coronary heart disease,hypertension, colon cancer, and diabetes mellitus in particular. Physical activity also improves mental health and is important for the health of muscles, bones, and joints."- Audrey F, Manley, M.D., M.P.H., Acting Surgeon General of the United States (source: Center for Disease Control)
  • It doesn’t contribute to the air pollution
    Motor vehicle emissions are the major cause of air pollution in the Bay Area http://www.baaqmd.gov/pln/prevention/bicycles.htm
  • It saves gas (which at almost 5 bucks a gallon is a huge benefit in itself)
  • It’s probably faster if you drive in a high congestion area
  • It’s fun


So, starting next week, I’m going to try to pick at least 1 hopefully 2 days a week, when I can ride my bike to work…..besides, I only live about 2 miles from the office so it barely qualifies as a commute.

No comments: