Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is exercise really good for you???

As I rolled out of bed this morning I was struck by just how long it takes me to be fully mobile in the morning.
It’s usually a process. It starts with swinging the legs over the edge of the bed, hopefully with enough momentum to get me mostly vertical. This is followed by a straightening of the legs with pops and cracks coming from both knees. Once I’m standing, I slooooowly straighten up trying my best to avoid tweaking my lower back which pretty much just hurts constantly.
After a long hot shower, things have usually loosened up to the point that I can move almost normally. A couple of stretches and extensions and I’m pretty well mobile and ready to face the day.

I was whining talking about this with a guy I ride with the other day and we came to the conclusion that despite what everyone says, exercise is not good for you.
For instance, I rode the single speed around Lake Chabot last night and had a great ride at a decent pace. As soon as I got home, I took an Aleve since I knew my shoulders, which are messed up from working out, would start to ache in the middle of the night.
This morning, my legs are sore and my lower back is tight. Both a result of doing something that is supposed to be good for you.
My buddy, who 2 years ago gave up smoking, drinking and sitting on his fat a$$ and started biking, commented that prior to riding and working out every day, he was never sore.
He could sit on his big comfy couch all weekend and watch sports and feel rested, relaxed and generally pretty good on Monday morning.
Now, he either rides or works out on the weekends and come Monday morning he’s tired and it hurts to walk up the stairs to his office.
Of course, although it didn’t hurt to walk up the stairs with his previous lifestyle, it did leave him winded for about 10 minutes – but is that so bad????

No comments: